Williams Estate Agents Logo

Homebuyer’s Report or Building Survey?

We are often asked, ‘What is the difference between a Homebuyer’s Report and a Building Survey?’ Our response begins with a discussion about the characteristics of the property in question. A Homebuyer’s Report is recommended for a property in reasonable condition, constructed within the last 100-120 or so years, using conventional building materials The report covers the main elements, giving each a rating in a simple ‘traffic light’ system and notes any issues requiring further investigation or immediate attention. Should a client have particular concerns, or if the property is older or run-down, a Building Survey offers a more comprehensive investigation into its structure and fabric. The report offers detailed advice if the property has been, or will be, extensively altered and outlines repair options and estimated costs. We ensure we understand our client’s expectations and recommend the level of survey best suited to the property and the client’s needs.

Shaun Woolford MBA, BSc(Hons), Dip Proj Man, MRICS, is a Founding Partner of Gully Howard Chartered Surveyors, with 25 years’ experience surveying property on the Isle of Wight and is always happy to discuss survey requirements directly with clients without obligation. (Tel: 07753 821 299).

Thinking of just selling or letting your home? banner